If you have a disability that prevents you from working or makes it difficult to work OR you have one of the conditions listed below regardless of your employment status, you may qualify for an extension of the SGLI coverage you had in service at no cost to you. If you apply and are approved, your coverage will be extended for up to two years from your separation date.
Conditions That Provide Eligibility for the Free Extension of SGLI Regardless of Employment Status
– Permanent loss of use of both hands
– Permanent loss of use of both feet
– Permanent loss of use of both eyes
– Permanent loss of use of one hand and one foot
– Permanent loss of use of one foot and one eye
– Permanent loss of use of one hand and one eye
– Total loss of hearing in both ears
– Organic loss of speech (lost ability to express oneself, both by voice and whisper, through normal organs for speech – being able to speak with an artificial appliance is disregarded in determination of total disability)
To obtain an application for the SGLI Disability Extension, or to learn more, visit http://benefits.va.gov/insurance/sglidisabled.asp.
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.